Not an attorney? Here is what we think you should know:
- Macabacus and its affiliates collect your personal information only as required to deliver you Macabacus products and services.
- Macabacus does not sell your personal or other information to third parties.
- Macabacus does not retain billing information such as credit card and bank account numbers.
- Macabacus add-ins do not collect confidential or proprietary information and data stored within your Office documents.
Collection and Use of Personal Information
Personal information is data that can be used to identify or contact a single person.
If you give Macabacus the personal information of another individual, then you are solely responsible for complying with all applicable laws, including obtaining the individual’s valid consent, regarding your collection and disclosure of the personal information to Macabacus and to Macabacus’s use, disclosure, and retention of the personal information.
We will collect, store, use and disclose personal information in accordance with all applicable laws relating to the protection of personal information, including the EU Data Protection Directive 95/46/EC, the EU General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679, the EU ePrivacy Directive 2002/58/EC as amended by Directive 2009/136/EC, as amended or superseded from time to time, and any other regulatory agencies implementing legislation (“Data Protection Laws”).
For the purpose of Data Protection Laws, in relation to any personal information you or any Permitted Users submit to our platform, you will be the data controller and we will be a data processor of such Personal Data.
What personal information we collect
- Personal Identity Data such as name, personal address, personal email address, personal telephone number, country, IP address, and browser and operating system configuration.
- Employment Identity Data such as name, title, function, name of employer, information about the employer (such as business unit or group), work telephone number and email address, and work mailing address.
- Password. Your Macabacus password (unless you use an identity provider like Google or Azure Active Directory).
- Other information you provide directly to us. You may have the option to submit additional information as you use our products and services. For example, you may choose to participate in surveys where you can provide feedback on the product.
How we use your personal information
- Providing Macabacus products to you. We use personal information to help us create, develop, operate, deliver, and improve our products, services, content, and advertising, and for loss prevention and anti-fraud purposes.
- Communicate account changes and comply with legal obligations. We may use your personal information to send important notices, such as communications about purchases, changes to your account, and changes to our terms, conditions, and policies. Because this information is important to your interaction with Macabacus, you may not opt out of receiving these communications.
- Communicate product or service changes and communications. We may use your personal information to notify you of product announcements, software updates, upcoming events, and marketing emails about new products or offers. If you do not wish to receive these notices, you can opt out of our mailing list anytime by updating your preferences.
- Building and improving our products. We may use personal information for internal purposes such as auditing, data analysis, and research to improve Macabacus’ products, services, and customer communications.
- Processing payments. If you are a paying customer, we need payment information to enable your transaction.
Collection and Use of Non-Personal Information
We also collect data in a form that does not, on its own, permit direct association with any specific individual. We may collect, use, transfer, and disclose non-personal information for any purpose. The following are examples of non-personal information — except where such information is considered personal by local law — that we collect and how we may use it:
- We may collect information such as unique device and network identifiers, language, zip code, area code, referrer URL, location, and the time zone where a Macabacus product is used so that we can better understand customer behavior and improve our products, services, and advertising.
- We may collect and store details of how you use our services, including activity logs. This information may be used to improve our products and services.
If we do combine non-personal information with personal information, or with any other non-personal information for the purpose of building a profile of an individual, the combined information will be treated as personal information for as long as it remains combined.
Sensitive, Non-Personal Information
Macabacus software, like any other Microsoft Office add-in, may be exposed to non-personal information and data of a confidential or proprietary nature stored within your Office workbooks, presentations, and documents. Macabacus software does not collect this information.
Certain errors logged by Macabacus software may contain file or folder paths. Always use project or code names in place of sensitive information when naming files and folders. If you do not, error logs transmitted to Macabacus and its affiliates may contain sensitive information, although this information is not normally consumed by humans. You can opt out of error logging, but doing so may impair the quality of support services that we can provide to you.
Please note that in some jurisdictions, the age of digital consent is older than 13. If you are in one of those jurisdictions, you must be at least that age to use our products.
Cookies and Other Technologies
If you want to disable cookies, check with your browser provider to learn how to do so. Note that certain Macabacus website features and other online services may be unavailable once cookies are disabled.
As is true of most Internet services, we gather some information automatically and store it in log files. This information includes Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, browser type and language, Internet service provider (ISP), referring and exit websites and applications, operating system, date/time stamp, and clickstream data.
We use this information to understand and analyze trends, to administer the site, to learn about user behavior on the site, to improve our product and services, and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. We may use this information in our marketing and advertising services.
In some of our email messages, we use a “click-through URL” linked to content on the Macabacus website. When customers click one of these URLs, they pass through a separate web server before arriving at the destination page on our website. We track this click-through data to help us determine interest in particular topics and measure the effectiveness of our customer communications. If you prefer not to be tracked in this way, do not click text or graphic links in the email messages.
Pixel tags enable us to send email messages in a format customers can read, and they tell us whether mail has been opened. We may use this information to reduce or eliminate messages sent to customers.
Disclosure to Third Parties
Macabacus shares personal information with companies who provide services such as information processing, fulfilling customer orders, transaction processing, subscription management, delivering products to you, managing and enhancing customer data, providing customer service, assessing your interest in our products and services, and conducting customer research or satisfaction surveys. These companies are obligated to protect your information and may be located wherever Macabacus operates. Personal information will only be shared by Macabacus to provide or improve our products, services, and advertising; it will not be shared with third parties for their marketing purposes.
It may be necessary — by law, legal process, litigation, and/or requests from public and governmental authorities within or outside your country of residence — for Macabacus to disclose your personal information. We may also disclose information about you if we determine that for purposes of law enforcement or other matters of public importance, disclosure is necessary or appropriate. No such disclosures have been required of Macabacus in the past, and we do not reasonably expect to be compelled to make such disclosures in the future.
We may also disclose information about you if we determine that disclosure is reasonably necessary to enforce our terms and conditions or protect our operations or users. Additionally, in the event of a reorganization, merger, or sale we may transfer any and all personal information we collect to the relevant third party.
Macabacus does not sell, or otherwise share except as described above, personal information with third parties.
Protection of Personal Information
Macabacus takes the security of your personal information very seriously. Macabacus online services protect your personal information during transit using encryption such as Transport Layer Security (TLS). When your personal data is stored by Macabacus, we use computer systems with limited access housed in facilities using physical security measures. Passwords are stored in encrypted form using one of the most secure, salted encryption algorithms available. Although we endeavor to protect the privacy of your personal information we hold in our records, we cannot guarantee complete security. Unauthorized entry or use, hardware or software failure, and other factors may compromise the security of your information at any time.
When you use some Macabacus products and services, or post in a Macabacus forum or chat room, the personal information and content you share is visible to other users and can be read, collected, or used by them. You are responsible for the personal information you choose to share or submit in these instances. For example, if you list your name and email address in a forum posting, that information is public. Please take care when using these features.
Macabacus uses tokens with PCI-DSS compliant credit card processors; we never see or store your credit card or bank account details when you transact with us online.
Integrity and Retention of Personal Information
Access to Personal Information
You can help ensure that your contact information and preferences are accurate, complete, and up-to-date by logging in to your account. For other personal information we hold, we will provide you with access (including a copy) for any purpose including to request that we correct the data if it is inaccurate or delete the data if Macabacus is not required to retain it by law or for legitimate business purposes. We may decline to process requests that are frivolous/vexatious, jeopardize the privacy of others, are impractical, or for which access is not otherwise required by local law. Additionally, you may exercise your rights as follows:
- Correct or update your data. You can update your name, email address, and language preference through your account settings once you’ve logged in. Access, correction, and deletion requests can be also made by contacting [email protected]
- Stop us from processing your personal information. If you are an individual, you can ask us to stop using your personal information for marketing emails by clicking “unsubscribe” on the emails you receive. In order to stop all processing of your personal information, you can delete your account.
- Submit a data privacy objection. If you think that we haven’t complied with data protection laws, you have a right to lodge a complaint with your local supervisory authority.
Third-Party Sites and Services
Macabacus websites, products, and services may contain links to third-party websites, products, and services. Our products and services may also use products or services from third parties. Information collected by third parties, which may include such things as location data or contact details, is governed by their privacy practices. We encourage you to learn about the privacy practices of those third parties.
Data Privacy Framework (Privacy Shield)
Macabacus complies with the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework and the Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield Frameworks. For more information, see Macabacus’ Privacy Shield Statement.
If you have an unresolved privacy or data use concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact our U.S.-based third party dispute resolution provider (free of charge) at https://feedback-form.truste.com/watchdog/request.